Thursday, June 30, 2016

Winter Wellness Smoothie

I'm a green smoothie girl through and through. Spinach, bananas, ginger and lemon are my go-to. I just don't think you can beat that combination. However, like all good vegan foodies, I occasionally like to buy into the hype surrounding the latest "superfood". When I can afford it that is!

This time round it's turmeric. When I first heard about the benefits of the spice, I started adding it to my curries and stews. I definitely noticed easing my stomach pains and keeping away colds. Studies have shown that turmeric can help with arthritis, diabetes, IBS/Chron's, cholesterol and just regular pain. I obviously haven't tried these out as I'm not a scientist, but I can vouch for the lessening of my own stomach pains! Hooray!

Now, onto the smoothie. This might seem like a strange concoction of ingredients, but I promise you it works. I was in London during their Winter last year and after traveling around Europe for the month and a half I felt a cold coming on. I did one of those 'wellness' shots you get at juice places and IT WAS LIKE A MIRACLE?! The cold disappeared?! Ever since then I've been a firm believer in the power of liquid vegetables. Even if it's not winter where you are, this smoothie will keep away any colds that might be coming your way!


What You'll Need:

  • 1 cup of carrot juice*
  • Thumb sized piece of ginger
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 1/2 cup mango (I used frozen)
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1/2 tsp of tumeric
  • Water for desired thickness

What You'll Need to Do:
  1. Add all of your ingredients to your blender. You can use however much water you would like for your desired thickness. I actually didn't use any water, because I love a thick smoothie, but feel free to add as much as you need!
  2. Once the smoothie is completely combined, serve in a glass! You need to make sure that every part of the smoothie is combined, especially the ginger, so this may take longer than the usual smoothie.
  3. Enjoy! If you're new to vegetable smoothies and are finding the taste a bit bitter, feel free to add some extra fruit to sweeten - I think this is just right though!


Touch wood, but I'm the only person I know that hasn't gotten sick yet this winter.  What are your tips to avoiding colds and the flu!?

* = I made mine myself using my Vitamix, but you could use a juicer or even buy some. If you'd like a post on how to make juice in a Vitamix, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great. Adding turmeric and ginger is always a great idea.

    Funmi x
    funmialabi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete